The Inverness Connection with Robert Burns
In a letter of 7th February 1787 to David Erskine, Earl of Buchan, Burns stated his wish to travel around Scotland: “Your Lordship touches the darling chord of my heart when you advise me to fire my Muse at Scottish story and Scottish scenes. I wish for nothing more than to make a leisurely Pilgrimage through my native country; to sit and muse on those oce hard-
1. 2016 AGM was held on Tuesday March 15, 2016 at Lochardil House Hotel, Inverness. New committee structure. Click here for details.
2. Atlanta Burns Club returned to Inverness in 2014 for another visit. Click here for details.
3. A project is underway by Ian Rae of Alexandria Burns Club to bring some traditional Burns songs to a wider audience by setting them to some new tunes. Click here for a sample
1. RBWF An update of the Robert Burns World Federation can be read by clicking here….
2. Next Inverness Burns Club Annual Anniversary Supper -
3. Hugh Grant appointed President for year 2016-
The Inverness Burns Club
Instituted 1949 Federation No. 691
About The Inverness Burns Club……
The Inverness Burns Club was formed in 1949 as a club which was
“…..made up of people interested in the works of Robert Burns and in Scottish literature.” and ”….in the Burgh of Inverness”
Inverness (from the Gaelic : Inbhir Nis meaning “Mouth of the Ness”) is regarded as the capital of the Highlands and is the administrative centre of the Highland Council. Inverness gained “City” status in 2001 when the Royal Burgh of Inverness became the City of Inverness.
The 18th century Battle of Culloden which inspired Burns to song and poem took place on nearby Drumossie Moor.
Number of visits since 23 November, 2013
Number of visitors currently on site
1. Hugh Grant appointed President for year 2016-
2. Photos from 2016 Anniversary supper now available in the Gallery section (under Resources) or by clicking here
3. Like us on our new FACEBOOK page below.
Photo of Inverness Castle courtesy of ScotlandInfo.
Inverness Burns Club on Facebook
|Past Presidents and Speakers|
|More on Visit of Burns to Inverness|
|Poscript to the Visit|
|Unveiling of the Plaque|
|Poem of the Month|
|Burns and the Caledonian Canal|